Tuesday 14 June 2011

CHAI at CHARMINAR



  Struggling through the old city area of Hyderabad, I reached a point where I felt the whole of Hyderabad coming all together upon me..... the chit chat of local people in Hyderabadi Hindi coupled with the shrieking hawkers with a hint of  whispers by awestruck tourists create the perfect background score for this unique experience..... and just when I started thinking that I have seen it all, I saw the monumental Charminar standing in front of me. Every step I took towards it imbibed me all the more into its charm. And just as I reached this whole new world, the speakers started roaring "allah ho akhbar.....". Suddenly the entire place turned solemn and all I could see was the Charminar and the Mecca Masjid.
  
  As I walked ahead towards it, a distinct fragrance attracted me to one of the tea joints next to Charminar. Well, sipping Irani tea next to Charminar may not be a dream to any ordinary person, but once you have done it, your senses will keep reminding you to do it again and again. The haunting aroma of the badi patti blended with the amazing flavor of chotti patti seduced my taste buds in such a way that calling back miyan for another cup became formidable. Just as I kept piling empty tea cups on my table and crush the cigarette butt on the floor, oh yes you can smoke here without eyebrows being raised at you, I saw the antique clock embedded on the Charminar and as I kept staring at it, I eventually reached a different era. Sitting with my close friends, as the tea kept flowing, the conversations got endless and blame it on the Irani Chai, I just poured my heart out. My brain soothes, my body relaxes, my problems find solution and suddenly I forgot all the pain I had taken to reach this place, as I cherished every sip of this amazing tea.

  But here, it was not just the tea or the Charminar; it was the ambiance, the surrounding, the shining pearls, the fragrance of unique perfumes, the dimly lit endless corridors of the bazaar which blend among themselves to give me this unforgettable experience. Though all the flashy cafes claim that a lot can happen over a cup of coffee, the Irani chai at Charminar does deliver.

1 comment: