Wednesday 2 March 2011

MY FIRST SNIFF OF SNUFF!

   Sometimes Universe conspires to make you do what you really want to. This is just another example of it. Sitting at Selvam, our regular tea joint in front of the college, sipping my regular sugarless coffee reminded me that nothing new has been done since a long time. So that obvious question popped....what should it be?
   Sitting by a tea shop can definitely give you weird ideas. So, I decided to try snuff! I had seen some elders at my home keeping a well crafted pint sized steel container with a pleasant smelling powder. They would proudly take it out from their pocket, take a pinch of it and would sniff it from their fingertips. It looked cool. Since I too have attained the legal age to carry out these experiments, I looked up to it as an opportunity to break out and add a bit of sugar to my monotonous sugarless life.
   Since I wasn't aware of what it is called in Tamil, the local language, God sent Gokul, who explained it to the Selvam Akka (the shopkeeper) and bought it for me from the tea stall we were sitting next to. All my jobless friends gathered around the small sachet and I decided to pioneer the experiment. This is how it went.....
"a chilly like, but sweet smelling, powder entered my nostrils, struck my brain and pushed tears out of my half open eyes. Head started spinning and I started sneezing......"  though I tried to control it till all my friends tried it too, my effort went in vein as tears started trickling down my eyes......
   All I could see through my tear filled half open eyes was the Selvam Akka, who was smiling and nodding her head suggesting that I shouldn't try this and that very instant the decision was taken. This was my last sniff of snuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment